Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So I think life is hard?

Dear Friends,
I am sitting in an airport in Halifax looking just past the runways to the beautiful green of the forests that cover the country. I just spent a week on vacation, and I had SO much fun! However, I learned a very important lesson (don't i always? :P) If I am leaving home behind so that I can relax and enjoy myself, it won't work if I take my "home-worries" with me :) The first several days, I had a mental checklist in my head of what I had to do when I got home, and so, instead of enjoying myself, I worried. I'm a worrier. I admit it. I spend way too much time worrying about what is going wrong in my life, and definitely not enough time thanking the Lord for the blessings in my life. I read this verse this morning, and I thought it was appropriate :)
Romans 8:37 - But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

I don't need to worry, He has promised that I will overwhelming conquer THROUGH HIM!

So, i decided to think through just a small list of "thankfuls"

  1. Jesus' sacrifice
  2. family
  3. God's encompassing love
  4. detail in nature -  so obviously created :)
  5. accountability through the body of Christ
  6. friends that make me laugh
  7. peaceful photographs
  8. smiling children
  9. kindnesses I don't deserve
  10. drinkable water
  11. my bed
  12. the ability to be educated
  13. language
  14. beads
  15. my sister
  16. protection granted to me by police, firemen, doctors, anyone who can save my life...
  17. hope of heaven
  18. airplanes :P
  19. the internet (Facebook ;P)
  20. chairs with stuffing
  21. Ted, my bear :D
  22. the human brain
  23. pianos
  24. tiny babies
  25. my passport
  26. the elders in m church
  27. people who challenge my walk with God
  28. hymns
  29. people that make me laugh
  30. Starbucks coffee
  31. a job
  32. electricity
  33. thrift stores
  34. the theory of relativity
  35. fire estinguishers
  36. clocks
  37. interesting books
  38. colorful shells
  39. swimming pools
  40. my skin
  41. indoor plumbing
  42. backpacks
  43. rain boots :D
  44. California
  45. poetry that makes you think
  46. zippers
  47. crutches - even when they hurt
  48. chap stick
  49. the Milky Way
  50. my doggy <3
I could go on forever, but I am about to board the plane :)
To often, I forget to be thankful. I constantly have to remind myself that I HAVE something to be thankful for, forgetting that I have so much to be thankful for. What are you thankful for?

With Love,
Marilla

2 comments:

  1. I've been working on my list for awhile now & just haven't been able to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep working :) It is SO encouraging!

    ReplyDelete